Monday, August 3, 2009

untitled.

yay! the tool bar is finally finally finally back. Thank goodness. I thought i was gone for good. All the inconvinence gone.

I've been really lazy today. The Chemistry worksheet was just staring at me and I blankly stared back. My mind drifted off too many a time today... thinking about too many things I shouldn't be thinking of. Must stay rational.

Ok, here's my official apology to Sam C. I really didn't mean what I said, was just in a really bad mood, and just said some nasty stuff. You are forgiven and I seek your understanding.

Before writing this post, I had just been to Veronica's blog. She was writing about poverty, which prompted me to open that "forbidden" file in my computer. That file is full of pictures of the poor and even corpses of dead people in Africa, most of which have died of starvation, drought, undernutrition, disease or war. It's heart wrenching to see those pictures... I call it the "forbidden" file, because the first time I went about researching for those pictures for UNSA, I got a bit traumatised, like its not easy to be viewing hundreds of pictures of people who died in very sad ways and those who are still suffering, thinking that they are better off dead. But after a while, I found myself emotionless while viewing those pictures. I didn't like that feeling... it was eerie. You are staring at a dead person, and you feel nothing. Basically, I hated that I felt that way, so I stopped viewing those pictures. At least, now, I still get that wincing feeling when I open the "forbidden" file. At least I still feel humane.

Everyone keeps on thinking, what can we do, how can we help... but really, there's a limit to things. There are many obstacles against humanitarian help, obstacles that can, but are not easy to overcome. Poverty will one day be resolved, I believe, but it's here to stay for now.

I remember the workshop I attended the other day at the UN seminar, about ending poverty. Like the guy who was conducting the thing (his name is Michael) is from Kentucky USA, and was part of the Peace Corps USA and had stayed in Niger for 2 years as a teacher in a local village. He shared a lot with us, and he's the co-founder of One Singapore, an organisation founded with the goal of ending poverty. He shared with us a story of a fellow villager in Niger, and the villager had approached Michael, asking for help, because the villager's sister was ill. Her leg was swollen, and when you pressed her flesh on her swollen leg, the depression caused by your finger will remain there. Michael checked up his Peace Corps medical book, and went back to the villager, and asked the villager a question. "I think I know what happened to your sister, but first, for confirmation, tell me, does your sister eat dirt?" The villager replied "Michael, every woman in the North eat dirt." The sister was rushed to the hospital.

These women do not have enough to eat, and thus assume that they could get some of their minerals and nutrients directly from the soil, by eating the soil.

A child dies every 6 seconds due to poverty. And that's only the population of children, excluding the adults. This world is unfair. If I really do get the chance, I would like to be a UN goodwill ambassador, like Angelina Jolie, someday. I mean, yeah, the UN is really just a sitting figurehead in many issues, I know, but at least people who want to help have a platform and resources to do so.

Our debate coach Sam just left for New Dheli (sp?) for 2 years, for work. It was so sudden, he didn't even notify me or Emily. He's closer to Cheng Hui, I guess, thus he told her. I mean, she's the only one who calls him every now and then for motivation. Haha... I'll still miss the guy for all the knowledge and kindness that he has imparted.

*************************************************************************************
to the person i've known my whole life, i'm sorry, and I thank you. You know who you are. Maybe I'm being selfish, but I really don't know how you take in so much of my nonsense.

No comments: