Monday, August 10, 2009

300

Yesterday was Singapore's National Day, for the sake of my foreign friends. The National Day Parade this year was so much better than the previous ones. At least they took out the part with the choir in the weird hats. I laughed pretty hard when the big clumsy looking Sang Nila Utama giant puppet doll came out... it looked, er... hilarious =) The other part was the one with the people dancing with a square box on their heads. I was just commenting that it just showed that the people couldn't think out of the box, and the tv announcer immediately said that the boxes actually symbolises that we can think out of the box. i could just imagine a crow flying past and a huge teardrop appearing at the back of my head, just like in animes. Such Irony. But I love this year's national day song, more rocky and cool.

After the National Day parade, I immediately switched channels to watch The Myth, that Jackie Chan movie starring also that Korean actress Kim Hee-sun. It was quite nice, the movie, but I missed some parts of the endings coz I switched channels to watch the Spartans in 300 on channel 5.

Spartans! Pictures, Images and Photos

Okay... I can't delay anymore. 300 is just so damn freaking cool. Its a movie about 300 spartans fighting against the huge Persian Army, to prevent the Persian Empire from taking away their land. MY god. Like this actually happened in real life Greek History, and the Spartans were really that COOL. Basically, they are born with pride, live with courage, valor and honor, and die in glory in battle. There's no such word as retreat for them. Just the 300 of them slaughtered like tens of thousands of Persian soldiers. Even though they all died in the end, (because they were outflanked by this hideous ex-spartan, who is like physically deformed) they didn't retreat like the other Greek soldiers.

The movie was pretty violent, like you could see heads flying, litres of blood splattered, and limps amputated without hesitation, well, it was one hell of a great movie. I even feel motivated just by watching the way the Spartans fight and the code by which they lived. Gerard Butler surely fufilled his acting role as the Spartan King Leonidis (sp?). It's hard to imagine that he was the one in that love flick P.S I Love You (yes, the only one that made me cry) and then you see him in 300 like some superhero guy, fearless and a heck of a warrior. He was filming PS I Love You immediately after the filming of 300 ended, so I remember watching an interview where he said like he worked out, lifted weights and all for the 300 movie, and then relaxed a whole lot for PS I Love You, because obviously a love flick doesn't need a Spartan looking guy, and then after the filming of both, a magazine asked him to be on its cover for its 300 promo, and he panicked, and started working out like mad again.

I wish I had the fighting spirit of a Spartan. Maybe, then I wouldn't be becoming more and more demotivated while studying. Spartans rule =)

No comments: