Monday, June 15, 2009

World's scholars cup RULE!

Okay.. I officially and completely take back all my complaints and regrets about joining the World's Scholars cup. Take those words and throw them into a space vortex that leads to oblivion. WSC ROCKS!

My god... I'm missing everything about the World's scholars cup right now... I felt so at home there, like there was this compelling feeling that I sort of belonged there. And frankly, I felt more at ease there than I am in Chung Cheng.

WORLDS SCHOLARS CUP DAY ONE (SATURDAY)
On the first day, while travelling to Nanyang Girls for the event, I was kinda sulky, but once I reached there and we registered, the aura (to quote Su xue) was entirely fresh and different, and I was more than eager to begin...

Like there were students from all over the world (12 countries to be exact) pouring into the nanyang auditorium. WOW. Like to be part of that was just an honor. I heard caucasian accents around me everywhere, so even before half the day, my inner "accent thermostat" auto switched. Yeah, so I ended up speaking american for 2 days. even now I still am... =)

Daniel, the program director, was the best host in the world. I would say that he's even tonnes better than Ryan Seacrest (i'm unsure if i spelt his name correctly). Well the essay bit was fun... damn fun, like I chose the one that kinda looked like Social studies combined with history, about how you would advise an empire's leader on expansion, defense, and maintanence of his empire. Easy stuff =) Cheng Hui and Darion both chose the science question, on sustainable nuclear energy.

Next up, was Scholar's challenge, or MCQ for each subject... I spent too much time on my other 5 subjects that I forgot about math. Like I had only 9 mins to the the math section, without a calculator, and I panicked so I guessed for every single question. Basically, I screwed up (not entirely, only for math) and had fun =)

Had lunch, then DEBATE!! We lost to Korea's Hangkuk Acedemy, coz of lack of examples in our case... but we won against U.S.A's Mountain Pointe High School. I like the sirname of their 2nd speaker Ian Mckloski. I not in love with the guy, I barely know him, but his sirname is really cool.

Okay, the rest of the day was more food, and more debate showcase, and Cheng Hui suffering from hyperventilation.

WORLDS SCHOLARS CUP DAY TWO (SUNDAY)
woot... First was the flag bearers ceremony, then Scholar's Bowl!! Hahax. We had fun screwing up for that one... But we did considerably well, considering that we'd only studies one or two weeks before the actual thing, and other teams studied for like a year. Our scoring was around that of everyone's average =)

Before the scholar's bowl, I ran from the 2nd floor of the auditorium to the first, to grab a few Alpaca finger puppets for our team. The Alpaca, an animal, is the official mascot of the World's scholars cup. And I have officially fell in love with those animals.

The rest of the day was debate showcase, prize presentation (which was swiped like 85% by Raffles Institution and Raffles Girls). We got photos taken, and certificates of participation, though I did win the best overall in my "school" Hwa Choung Cheng ( coz our team was made of of Hwa Chong's Darion, and Chenghui and me from Chung Cheng.. hahax).

It was wonderful to mingle around and meet people from Indonesia, Thailand, California, Britain, Australia, and what nots. The people there were super friendly -- there isn't one moment when you'll feel left out. When Cheng Hui and I left for home, (after the most wonderful buffet dinner) we entered the MRT and when people started speaking Singlish, reality struck. The feeling was like "Shit, I'm back in Singapore again".... I wish I could rope all my best buddies and friends into the World's Scholars cup and stay there forever. It was the best thing that ever happened to me.

Oopps... I didn't realize I wrote that much... okay, actually wanted to post a few photos, but maybe tmr, coz this post is way too long...

No comments: